HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 5

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:26:48 -0500
Virus spreading is bad, but what constitutes an offense these days?

Here's a guy jailed just for using LYNX:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/28/031248&tid=172&tid=158&tid=17

Man Reportedly Jailed for Using Lynx
Security | Posted by CowboyNeal on Friday January 28, @02:53AM
from the freak-outs dept.
wezzul writes "A Londoner made a tsunami-relief donation using Lynx on Sun's Solaris operating system. The site operator decided that this 'unusual' event in the system log indicated a hack attempt, and the police broke down the donor's door and arrested him." Honestly, though, aside from a BBC article about a tsunami fund hacking probe that doesn't mention user agents there's little to corroborate this.  Hopefully Lynx users need not worry too much yet.

If you don't like slashdot here's the original references:

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/01/27/jailed_for_using_a_n.html

BT

Tracy Johnson
MSI Schaevitz Sensors