HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 4

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:24:12 -0800
Brian asks:
>Has any 3K pro out there, unemployed due to the demise of the HP3000,
>considered a class action law suit against Fiorina and her company?

What would be the basis of such a suit?  Products are discontinued all
the time.  Having once sold a product does not obligate the company to
offer it indefinitely.  No, I don't think HP made any promises to anyone
about their employment prospects in the HP 3000 marketplace.

The only possible basis for a suit, it seems to me, would be if someone
purchased an MPE system shortly before the EOL announcement, and
received some kind of promises that the product line would be continued
for the foreseeable future.  We now know that HP made the decision to
EOL the 3000 well in advance of the announcement (and before that year's
HP World conference, where the future of MPE was widely discussed).  If
someone received assurances about the future of MPE, when HP knew it was
going away, perhaps someone could make a case on that basis, but it
would be a long shot.

John Clogg

The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
represent those of my employer.