HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 4

From:
Peter Osborne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Osborne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:20:27 -0500
Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has experience "tunneling" the HP Jetdirect protocol
that the HP3000 uses to print to HP printers.

When I say "tunneling", I really mean proxying the connections.

We currently use the program "redir" on Linux systems to create a TCP/IP proxy
on the outside interface of the Linux system and it relays all teh traffic
through to a machine on the internal network. We are currently using this
technique with great success for Telnet on the HP.

I want to do something similar, I need an HP3000 to attempt to print to a
specific IP (192.168.0.1) and port (32001) and I need that system at
192.168.0.1 to relay all the traffic to the printer located at 192.168.40.14,
port 9100.

I have tried to setup the redirect the same way as our telnet redirect but the
HP3000 doesn't like it. Does anyone know if the HP Jetdirect protocol
requires more than just an outgoing connection from teh HP3000 to port 9100
on the printer?

Thanks in advance,
Pete