HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:21:40 EST
I just wrote:

> Because you're not differentiating what part of the buffer is legimately
text
> and what part are binary encodings, the upshift operation is being applied
> against every byte that falls in the decimal range 97 ("a") to 122 ("z"),
> thus you're also transmogrifying your binary-encoded COBOL-integer
> values.

Let me finish up what I just wrote and say that the decimal value 609 is
written as:

     02 61

-- in hex. It's the "61" value that's getting you in trouble. That is the
ASCII code for the little-a character. When "upshifted," which is an operation
that it was never meant to have done to it and is one of those "unnatural acts"
that get the people in the red states so up-in-arms, it becomes a "41":

     02 41

-- which, when translated back into the real world, equals 577, the value
that you are obtaining.

Wirt Atmar