HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 4

From:
donna garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:35:57 -0800
--- Jim Tropiano <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I want to know if someone could answer the question
> on if /opt and /home and /tmp could be on the SAN and not on the
> system disc?

you know -- that's a really good question....and i wish i had answer.
what i can tell you is the unix admins here will not put certain
directories on the san.  they mumble something about it not being
recommended and wanting the boot information local to the machine.

i guess they have a point...about having a greater(?) degree of
confidence that the machine will boot.  i'm just not sure i agree.
case in point....

when we upgraded our main mpe hardware and connected to a va array, the
unix admins were astounded that i was putting ldev 1 (well, the whole
system volume) on the array.  "oh! you can't do that!"  a quick call to
he-who-knows confirmed that what i was planning on doing was actually
recommended.

i've noticed that long-time unix people have some rather odd notions
about discs (they even spell disk funny :-).  seems like a lot of 'disc
think' is rooted in 'whole disk' mentality.  i remember sitting in a
on-line jfs seminar at hpw...and was amazed at the "you can do that??"
reaction when the presenter started talking about disc drives larger
than 4gb (and this seminar was only a few years ago....).

maybe the best thing to do would be to ask the rc?

> Should /opt , /usr/ /dev be there own mount points..

i'm going to say yes but someone may have a better answer....     - d

=====
Donna Garverick, HP-CSA   Sr. System Programmer
dgarverick -at- longs -dot- com
925-210-6631              Longs Drug Stores

Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.
"Ulysses", A. Tennyson