HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 3

From:
"Newton, Ernie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Newton, Ernie
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:59:16 -0800
Greetings,

Vladimir visited us last week and again raked me
over the coals for inadequate securities.  It's an
annual occurrence.  We are not the Department of Defense,
but merely a educational site in California, so in
my humble opinion we don't need to be locked down
as tight.

That being said, there are things I need to do.  I found
some logons without passwords and am curious about any
ramifications there may be if I put an account password
there.  These seem to be "system" accounts that include;
APACHE, JAVA, HPPL89, etc.

Are there problems with putting account passwords on these
types of accounts?  Or, would it be better to put a
user password?

Thanks,

Ernie