HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 2

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:52:26 -0600
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:27:49 -0600, Denys Beauchemin
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> This is a great way of doing things, but what happens if the detail records
> you are collecting for a specific master key do not have master chain heads
> for the other masters linked to that detail?  I realize the original
> question did state that logical inconsistency was acceptable, but how do you
> get around the IMAGE inconsistencies?

Either you craft your SUPRTOOL job to visit all the masters that would
have chain heads for the detail records you are pulling, OR you could
make the master datasets you don't care about into automatics in your
test schema.

Making a complicated SUPRTOOL job to pull 1% of the production data
and that has to TABLE lookups on a dozen masters should, in the long
run, be faster than taking a massive database and systematically
deleting 99% of the data.