HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 2

From:
Jay Maynard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Maynard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 05:50:49 -0600
On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:46:53AM +0000, John Dunlop wrote:
> From the response to my post from both Jay Maynard and Denys
> Beauchemin, I realise that they completely missed the point of my post.
> I said,  in so many words, that at a time when such a huge disaster has
> affected so many countries in the world and when so many other countries
> are providing huge amounts of aid and resources, it is in extreme bad
> taste to boast about how much aid your own country is offering while
> belittling the efforts of others.
>
> (It is also in bad taste to quote a link to the Diplomad whose extreme
> right-wing, conservative opinions rate close to the editorials in the
> National Enquirer.)
>
> So, I will not say any more on this subject but hope that Jay and Denys
> have the grace to realise the inappropriateness of their posts.

The truth is never inappropriate.

The UN - and, in particular, one of its officials who's one of the worst
offenders when it comes to being all talk and no action - belittled the US
as being "stingy". His word, not mine. The reality is that the UN is sitting
around in 5-star hotels, worrying about whether its staff has catering
available at any hour of the day or night, while the US - yes, and lots of
other folks, too - is committing massive manpower and logistical resources
to actually helping people.

If the UN wants to avoid criticism, it should 1) quit pointing fingers at
the people who are getting the work done, and 2) get out there and help.

Had the UN not criticized the US in the first place, this discussion would
have been avoided. The lesson there is not to start discussions when you're
the one in the wrong.