HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 2

From:
John Saylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Saylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:58:00 -0800
Being an x-military brat, stationed in San Salvador, Bahamas (now an extension of Disney World) I use to research these military islands... More information on Diego Garcia http://www.mydiegogarcia.com/.

Diego Garcia is said to have been discovered way back when by 2 Portuguese men.  One's last name was, yes, Diego and the other was Garcia.  They had discovered it on two separate journeys, but both arrived back about the same time and both of them laid claim to being the first to discover a new island.  Well, since they could not agree to who found it first, they used both their names and so today we have it--Diego Garcia.

There are times, however, when the U.S. military considers this 17-square-mile atoll of coral and sand in the middle of the Indian Ocean one of the most valuable places on Earth. A British dependency, Diego Garcia was developed as a joint U.S.-UK air and naval refueling and support station during the cold war. Located in the middle of the Indian Ocean and out of cyclone range, it was ideal for keeping an eye on the Soviet Union.

Diego Garcia proved to be critically important as a refueling base during the 1991 Persian Gulf War, and during Operation Desert Fox, it served as a base for B-52 bombers, which on Dec. 17, 1998, launched nearly 100 long-range cruise missiles aimed at Iraq. Beginning on Oct. 7, 2001, the United States again used Diego Garcia when it launched B-1 and B-52 bomber attacks against Afghanistan, in retaliation for the Taliban's harboring of Osama bin Laden, the mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Currently, a number of al-Qaeda suspects are being held and interrogated on the island. Hambali (Riduan Isamuddin), the leader of the Asian terrorist group Jemaah Islamiyah, responsible for the 2002 terrorist bombing in Bali, is currently being held on the island. During the 2003 British and American-led war against Iraq, the Diego Garcia once again played a crucial strategic role.

The fact that Diego Garcia is more than 3,000 miles south of Iraq, and just a shade closer to Afghanistan, did not pose the logistical problem one might expect. According to the U.S. Air Force, B-52s have an "unrefueled combat range in excess of 8,800 miles." (During the Gulf War, B-52s took off from Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana, launched cruise missiles on Iraq, and returned to Barksdale 35 hours later-the longest non-stop combat mission in the history of the B-52.)