HP3000-L Archives

January 2005, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:20:38 -0800
If mail is being delivered to any of the MX machines defined via DNS for the DS
mail relay machine, then that seems like correct behavior to me.

If your DNS contains MX records for mailhost.flowserve.com, then you are saying
that e-mail destined for mailhost.flowserve.com shall be delivered to any of
the MX machines.

Perhaps the inconsistency you are seeing is due to varying MX records being
chosen depending on destination mail server load and/or rate limiting.

- Mark B.

Larry Simonsen wrote:
> I am having a send mail relaying problem.
>
> we are running mpe/ix 7.0 with pp 1
> everything seems to be installed right and some messages are getting
> relayed.  the problem is that the relay host is not consistent.  the
> /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file shows the DS as mailhost.flowserve.com.  and
> ping returns the correct IP address for this host.  but it seems to be
> relaying via some 'MX' records in the dns rather than the mailhost dns
> name.

Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...