UTCSTAFF Archives

January 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Betsy Darken <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Darken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:04:34 -0500
This is a reminder about the one-hour talk I am giving this afternoon about
what children--and their teachers--need to learn about mathematics.   If
you cannot attend but would like to get my handout materials, just email me
and I'll send them to you later today or tomorrow.

 From 0 to 60 in 15 Weeks: What Should and Can be Accomplished in Mathematics
Courses for Future K-8 Teachers

Tuesday, January 18, EMCS 422, 3:00 pm.

This presentation will include:

(a) a brief overview of national recommendations for mathematics content
courses for future teachers;

(b) results of a pretest/posttest study of future teachers' mathematical
knowledge; and

(c) a discussion of a course that develops a deeper understanding of the
mathematics that these students will soon teach.

This talk will be interesting to parents, educators, and others interested
in mathematics education in elementary and middle school.