UTCSTAFF Archives

January 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Boris Belinskiy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Boris Belinskiy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:50:59 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

We continue our Colloquium in the Math Department.

*************************

Betsy Darken

Department of Mathematics

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Tuesday, January 18, EMCS 422, 3:00 pm.

From 0 to 60 in 15 Weeks: What Should and Can be Accomplished in Mathematics
Courses for Future K-8 Teachers

Abstract

This presentation will include:

(a) a brief overview of national recommendations for mathematics content
courses for future teachers;

(b) results of a pretest/posttest study of future teachers' mathematical
knowledge; and

(c) a discussion of a course that develops a deeper understanding of the
mathematics that these students will soon teach.

This talk will be interesting to parents, educators, and others interested
in mathematics education in elementary and middle school.

Boris P Belinskiy

Department of Mathematics, Dept. 6956

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Ph. (423) 425-4748