UTCSTAFF Archives

January 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Tatiana Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tatiana Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:30:27 -0500
Our first physics seminar will be held on Wednesday, January 12, 2 p.m.,
Grote 319.

Speaker: Dr. Peter Groves, Assistant Professor of Physics, UTC

Topic: "Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, and the Search for a Theory of
Everything"

Abstract: General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics have independently been
very successful in describing their respective physical regimes in the past
100 years or so, but the search for one theory that "unifies" both has not
been found.  Current leading candidates for this yet-to-be-discovered
quantum gravity are "String Theory", "Loop Quantum Gravity", and "Spin Foam
Gravity".  A very low level introduction will be given to General
Relativity, Q.M. and I'll do my best to introduce the rest.  I will then
talk a little about my research, which is in "Semiclassical Gravity", which
is an approximation to quantum gravity.

We are looking forward to see you there.

Dr. Tatiana Allen
UC Foundation Professor of Physics
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Tel: 423-425-4520, fax: 423-425-4683