SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2005

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:39:11 -0500
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:41:24 -0500, Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Reef Fish wrote:
>
>> That in-house shop was Aqua Safari -- the shop that holds the
>> DUAL distinction of (1) Not renting me a tank at Chankanaab Park
>> <diving at 15 fsw max> because I didn't have a buddy; [...]
>
>Were those the same guys at Chankanaab bitching about the absence of a
>snorkel?

Never run across one of those.

>> El Norte was causing highly visible currents in Costa Maya today.

That's Costa Maya, aka Mahahual, about 12 hours cruise or 300 miles
from Cozumel.  En route to Coz now.  Will be there 8 am tomorrow.

>> ALL three gigantic crewships DOCKED at their new piers (Star
>> Princess, Grand Princess, Royal Caribbean of the Grande class)
>> had to have their engines and propellers running, against the
>> current, the ENTIRE time while docked, to lessen the stress on
>> the 6-inch diameter ropes tying them to the pier.
>

>They still building the piers southward?

Costa Maya is a relatively new port of call for cruise ships. It
has exactly three piers for large cruise ships.  It's one of the
stops on many Western Caribbean cruises;  but wasn't even on our
Western Caribbean itinerary, and was a substitute because
Princess Cays has not recovered since the hurricane in September.

Da Feeesh.