HP3000-L Archives

December 2004, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:01:32 EST
Peter writes:

> This quote below is from your side of the atlantic.  I'm pretty sure the
>  origins are from taylors in the UK too.
>
>  From http://www.abc.net.au/classic/breakfast/index/2003_02_full.htm
>  Bespoke  Tuesday 4
>
>  Kel Richards writes
>
>  This is now a word that has fallen almost completely out of use.
>  However, in old books you’ll come across the occasional reference to a
>  bespoke tailor – which is an odd looking locution, so what does it mean,
>  and where does it come from? Bespoke is still found in most dictionaries
>  in the sense of “goods made to order, to the customer’s specifications,
>  as opposed to ready-made goods (especially suits, jackets, etc.)”
>  Bespoke comes from the old verb “to bespeak” which came to mean “to
>  speak of, to tell of, to give outward expression of, to give evidence
>  of” – as in “his very countenance and expression bespeaks an unhappy
>  man”. The verb “to bespeak” could also mean “to ask, or to request, or
>  to engaged to do something”. From this, to say that something was
>  bespoken was to say that it was promised.
>
>  “May I borrow that book when you’ve finished reading it?”
>  “No, it’s already bespoken to someone else.”
>  (That is, promised to someone else.)
>
>  So “bespoke” and “promise” are virtually synonymous. And this is where
>  the tailor comes in. He takes your measurements and your order, and
>  promises to make up the suit according to your instructions. This is
>  what makes him a “bespoke tailor”.

Thanks much. That was very informative. But if Australia is on "my side of
the Atlantic," in a burst of excessively enthusiastic longitudialism, let me
also claim that Norway is on my side of the Atlantic as well.

I think that the best you could say is that Australia is neutral territory,
populated by a group of odd people who speak with an accent that most Americans
can't differentiate from being British.

Wirt Atmar