HP3000-L Archives

December 2004, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:32:32 -0500
Denys Beauchemin wrote:
> Jeff presents us with a comprehensive list of powerful products to rid one's
> computer of (un)wanted "spyware".
>
> A few months ago, I read an article in CPU magazine (one of the few computer
> rags that I now read), where the author was bemoaning the fact the "spyware"
> assassins and quarantiners were breaking his software all over the place.

Fascinating.  To balance the boat...

> Spyware 2.0 The Saint, Alex St.John

> It turns out that this particular removeware product is just generically
> deleting all files on the users hard drive under the folder name
> "WildTangent," then purging our registry entries, leaving nothing but broken
> games behind it.   [...blah blah blah...]

Try googling for "wild tangent spyware".

Or have a look at the explanation from the horse's mouth itself at
http://support.wildgames.com/WT_spyware.html.  I'll refrain from quoting
them extensively here, go see for yourself.

No Wild Tangent on my system.  I first ran across it doing what I
thought was just an AOL AIM update.  Surprise, surprise, Wild Tangent.

Just another crop of ratware weasels.

Jeff [Bah! Humbug!]