HP3000-L Archives

December 2004, Week 3

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:32:38 -0600
 Joseph Dolliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Gavin, I have a question regarding Eloquence,

> Is it able to handle ALL/ Any Image database data like AMISYS? This has not
> been mentioned as an option for Amisys customers since it is not just the
> databases but Many Many lines of code.

You should be able to just take pretty much any Image schema and feed
it to Eloquence to create a compatible database.  The API is the same
(dbopen, dbfind, dbget, etc.) and the operational procedures are
comparable to Image.

Transporting data from Image to Eloquence can be done in a number of
ways, either you can export (basically unload) all the data from each
set on MPE and then import it into the Eloquence database, or you can
use the Eloquence client for MPE to run programs on MPE that can open
remote Eloquence databases, or you could use a commercial program like
Rosetta Store that can directly :RESTORE an Image database stored on
MPE into an Eloquence database.

The places where there are any compatibility issues between Turbo Image
and Eloquence are way more obscure than anything most people would ever
run into.

Of course if you're looking at migrating a big application, the
database issue is only one of the things that you'll have to address,
but Eloquence can virtually eliminate all migration questions and
issues surrounding data storage and access.  You don't have to replace
your existing database access logic with something "SQLish" that
will be slow, or any sort of compatibility/translation layer as you
would if you want to migrate to something very different like Oracle.

There are probably a zillion things Oracle can do that neither Image
or Eloquence can do, but Eloquence generally does everything that
Image did (and more) so if you like the way Image looks and works,
and/or you've got a lot of code that uses the Image API way of doing
data access, then Eloquence is a great way to go.

Even if you're migrating to Oracle for some reason, it can be nice to
keep around a copy of all your Image databases in Eloquence as an
archival resource, etc.  Using Rosetta Store for example you could
restore an old copy of your data into Eloquence and manipulate it
or export it, even if you no longer have any HPe3000 systems.

Eloquence is quite reasonably priced (heck, it's almost free compared
to Oracle :-) and it even includes a port of QUERY.PUB.SYS (and
3rd party tools like Suprtool, Speedware, and Cognos are also
available I believe) so you can continue to access your data in
familiar ways too.

G.