HP3000-L Archives

December 2004, Week 2

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:56:14 -0500
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:56:30 -0600, Matthew Perdue
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Well, if politicians had a mandatory retirement at age 68, that would have
>disqualified your "precious" John Kerry (age 72) from running in the last
>election. Probably Ted Kennedy, Joe Lieberman, Dick Gephardt and a host of
>others would be disqualified too.

Matthew,

there was only 1 alternative. My personal favorite would have been as 4
years ago John McCain. Who also has no confidence in Rumsfeld.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041213/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/mccain_interview

McCain Has 'No Confidence' in Rumsfeld

PHOENIX - U.S. Sen. John McCain said Monday that he has "no confidence" in
Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, citing Rumsfeld's handling of the war
in Iraq and the failure to send more troops.

McCain, speaking to The Associated Press in an hourlong interview, said his
comments were not a call for Rumsfeld's resignation, explaining that
President Bush "can have the team that he wants around him."

Asked about his confidence in the secretary's leadership, McCain recalled
fielding a similar question a couple weeks ago.

"I said no. My answer is still no. No confidence," McCain said.

He estimated an additional 80,000 Army personnel and 20,000 to 30,000 more
Marines would be needed to secure Iraq.

"I have strenuously argued for larger troop numbers in Iraq, including the
right kind of troops — linguists, special forces, civil affairs, etc.,"
said McCain, R-Ariz. "There are very strong differences of opinion between
myself and Secretary Rumsfeld on that issue."

When asked if Rumsfeld was a liability to the Bush administration, McCain
responded: "The president can decide that, not me."

McCain, a decorated Navy veteran and former Vietnam prisoner of war, is a
senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee (news - web sites),
which has oversight of military operations and considerable influence over
the Pentagon budget.

Pentagon spokesman Larry Di Rita said McCain "has frequently expressed his
views regarding troop levels in Iraq, and he is an important member" of the
committee.

Rumsfeld has "relied upon the judgment of the military commanders to
determine what force levels are appropriate for the situation at hand," Di
Rita said.

Despite the troop levels, McCain believes military morale remains high, but
he acknowledged that involuntary extensions of tours of duty were
frustrating to soldiers.

He said Iraq must have a functioning independent government before U.S.
troops leave.

"I believe we'll be in Iraq militarily for many years, which would not be a
problem to the American people," he said. "I think what is not acceptable
to the American people is an increasing flow of dead and wounded."