HP3000-L Archives

December 2004, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 17:21:49 EST
Tracy writes:

> From this October's issue of the U.S. Naval Institute's
> Proceedings pp. 37-41, first paragraph article entitled
> "Who's Responsible For Losing the Media War In Iraq?"
> James Lacey, (embedded with the 101st Airborne) quotes
> General William Tecumseh Sherman:
>
>          "I hate newspapermen.  They come into camp and pick up
>          their camp rumors and print them as facts.  I regard
>          them as spies, which in truth, they are.  If I killed
>          them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."

Times change. From the AP, November 19, 2004:

"Texas Democrat Sylvestre Reyes says it's time to rethink the presence of
embedded reporters in combat zones. During a hearing of the House Armed Services
Committee, Reyes compared it to a football game, saying "we don't want to know
everything that's going on on the field." Reyes says this is not censorship.
In his words, "We should not be providing the Al-Jazeera the kind of
propaganda they've had the last couple of three days."

"Marine Corps commandant General Michael Hagee disagrees, saying embedded
reporters have actually worked very well and inform the American public about
"what these great young Americans are doing over there."

Wirt Atmar