HP3000-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:19:17 -0500
Brice,

as you have trouble staying with the subject I will repeat the subject for
you. It was a story about Kofi Annan not Dan Rather.
Are you a flip-flopper or politician or used-car-salesman?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=2&u=/nm/20041203/ts_nm/un_powell_dc_2

Powell Lauds UN Chief, in First U.S. Defense

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Secretary of State Colin Powell called Kofi Annan
a "good" U.N. secretary-general on Friday, after days in which Washington
chose not to defend the diplomat against a U.S. senator's demand he resign.

It was unclear whether Powell's comments signaled genuine support for
Annan, under fire over suspected corruption in the U.N.'s now-defunct Iraq
oil-for-food humanitarian program, or simply aimed to soften the widespread
impression Washington has no great desire to back the U.N. chief.

"Secretary-General Annan is a good secretary-general," Powell told Reuters
in the first positive comment about Annan from a top U.S. official since
Sen. Norm Coleman, a Minnesota Republican investigating the program, said
he should resign because of the suspected oil-for-food abuses.

Powell, echoing the view of President Bush -- who avoided any endorsement
of Annan this week -- said people should wait until congressional and
independent probes of the program are complete before reaching conclusions.

"We are deeply troubled by what happened (with) the oil-for-food program.
There can be no question in anyone's mind that the program was corrupted by
(former Iraqi leader) Saddam Hussein," he said.

"These investigations are not of Mr. Annan, they are of the oil-for-food
program, so let's wait and see what the results of these investigations
are."

Iraqi authorities have released intelligence suggesting Saddam exploited
the program through kickbacks and surcharges, earning billions of dollars
through his grip on which vendors could buy Iraqi oil and sell goods.

Saddam also used secret oil allocations to reward 1,300 individuals,
government officials and political parties from more than 40 countries,
according to lists drawn up in Iraq.