SCUBA-SE Archives

December 2004

From:
Bjorn Vang Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 07:39:40 +0800
Hi Mika,

> I was in Khao Lak for about 10 minutes in December 2002,
> after returning from Burma (dropped some people off there).
> Everything seemed to be under construction then. And all in a
> very flat area. I can see why a tsunami would be more
> destructive there compared to most parts of Phuket, where the
> terrain rises quickly relatively close to the beaches.

Apparently a lot of the structures were not exactly built in the legal zones
either. In Phuket, they strictly enforce the rules about minimum distance to
the beach. Khao Lak was more lax.

> >I keep hoping that they just have other things to do right now than
> communicate, but I think I'm hoping against hope.<
>
> Bent and John report that everyone they know seem to be OK there.

Yes, they sent me the happy news yesterday that Wolfgang and Evi are alive!
Heinz from Moskito Divers is the only fatality that they know of. I didn't
know him, but apparently he and John were close.

Born