HP3000-L Archives

November 2004, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:47:23 -0800
Re:
> We are facing problems in our PASCAL programs after migrating to MPE/iX 7.5
> from 6.5. Functions like strmove is giving BOUND VIOLATION error.
>
> Are there any other funcions of PASCAL which can give problems after
> migration ?

Interesting...I haven't seen any problems of any kind in Pascal
when going from older releases to 7.5.

If strmove is giving a "Bound violation", then I'm willing to bet
that it's being given parameters that actually -gasp- result in a bounds
violation :)

Let's look just at the problem strmove...

   STRMOVE { NM (Pascal/XL "built-in") }
      parm # 1: num_chars
      parm # 2: source_str/pac
      parm # 3: source_index
      parm # 4: dest_str/pac
      parm # 5: dest_index
   ! Pascal string/pac copy routine
   ! Both source_index and dest_index are 1-based.
   ! (generally compiles into call on $$lr_unk_unk)
   ! Example:
   !    strmove (num_chars, source, 1, dest, 1)

In the one that's failing, what are the parameters?

BTW, check your Pascal source code ... if there is a "$range off$
at the start of the module/program, move the programmer who put it there
into a job where they can't hurt anyone else.  (I've seen too many
incredibly poorly written Pascal programs where dozens of problems would
have been found years ago if $range off$ hadn't been specified :)

Stan
--
Stan Sieler
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html