HP3000-L Archives

November 2004, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:29:29 EST
Jean asks:

> Does anyone know of a of "window like" interface for screen display on the
> HP3000?

<plug>

We've developed what we think is a really nice interface for the HP3000, one
that has pull-down menus, radio buttons, check boxes, etc. We call the product
QCForms, and it's embedded in QCTerm. Indeed, every time that you download a
copy of QCTerm, you now automatically get a copy of QCForms.

We have not publicly yet spoken much about QCForms, in great part because
we're working at full-tilt in finishing up a number of other, more immediately
profitable products, but QCForms is now a complete product and one basically
ready for use, with a few caveats, documentation being the primary deficiency.

QCForms was developed immediately following the demise of the HP3000. A
number of developers, many of whom are on this list, told us repeatedly how
desperately they needed a product such as QCForms. However as we neared completion of
the product a year or so later, their levels of interest fell off, in part
due to their depression over the future prospects of the HP3000 community.

Nonetheless, one of the underlying design criteria of QCForms is that is
allows the creation of platform-agnostic forms in the simplest, easiest manner
possible, so that when the time came to move off of the HP3000, the screen
presentation would move easily and quickly to the new platform and appear no
different to the user, regardless of the background host platform or programming
language employed.

The rules of QCForms are that the developer organization gets five free
copies of the product, with unlimited support ("never be confused for more than ten
minutes about anything"). Once the developer's product is complete and ready
for distribution, the end-user, not the developer, will pay us $50/seat for
each active copy of QCForms.

If there is any interest in QCForms, we are pleased to do whatever we can to
support your development efforts. I believe the product is quite nice, but our
current plans are not to spend the time creating the documentation, examples,
and advertising material necessary for the full support of QCForms until
about this time next year, when the pressure of our other product development
subsides a bit. At that time, our primary emphasis will be on supporting UNIX and
Windows servers, but there is nothing about QCForms that requires any unique
capabilities on the host server other than a terminal-like telnet connection.

</plug>

Wirt Atmar