HP3000-L Archives

November 2004, Week 3

Dave Oksner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:03:11 -0800
Oddly enough, I had a friend explain this to me just last week.  Her
explanation was that problem is not one of literal translation but of
a sort of "botched grammar."  To say what he wanted to say, he should not
have used the noun identifier 'ein' (the 'a' in the English translation).
What he said is a perfectly valid sentence, but if a native speaker had
said it, it would have been understood to be a type of donut.

Of course, I'd defer to an actual native German speaker, should they decide
to weigh in.  This IS second-hand information.  :-)

Dave

--
+---------------David Oksner-----http://www.case.net/---------------+
|If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.|