HP3000-L Archives

November 2004, Week 2

From:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:41:19 -0800
I exercise for the same reasons.  Working up the motivation to ride my
bike to work on a nasty, rainy winter morning is a challenge, but I
always feel better when I'm out there.

I'm no expert in this area, but I think it's more complicated than "my
excess fat is used as energy during exercise."  And I'm pretty sure
exercise doesn't *require* an intake of more calories.  Grossly
simplified, I think it's all about supply and demand:

while (you.breathing) {
    if (you.exercise) you.demand.for.calories++;
    if (you.demand.for.calories > you.calories.consumed) {
        you.weight--;
        if (you.weight <= way.too.skinny) {
            break;
        }
    }
}

or something like that.  Whether or not you're burning "excess fat" as
opposed to the burrito you had for lunch, I don't know if your body
really works that way...  I think it's a pretty long trip from fat cells
to usable energy.  Someone with more biology knowledge (Wirt?) could
better address that issue.

Art

>>> John Testa <[log in to unmask]> 11/12/2004 2:00:47 PM >>>
Just my two cents ... the reason I exercise has nothing to do with
weight
loss (I tend toward the slender side anyway) - rather all the other
benefits like improved cardio-vascular health, strength, edurance, etc.
could name all the other benefits associated with exercise
(specifically I
like to lift weights and bike) but I'm sure someone will find a study
that
will disprove whatever I name.  Mainly, I feel great afterwards and
definitely feel high as a kite.  It's better than a martini.

Eating less, and more of high-quality foods, seems like a good idea
for
people who want to lose weight, but I bet you those same people would
benefit from a fair amount of exercise as well.  Of course, everyone
can.

At the same time, exercise would require intake of more calories,
wouldn't
it?  If you have excess fat, is that used as energy when exercising?

Now I'm curious ...

And I went OT:  OT.  Sorry for that.  :)

John Testa
SLPS Homewood
708-647-4346