HP3000-L Archives

November 2004, Week 1

From:
Scott Keeling <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Keeling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 16:28:44 -0500
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:55:15 -0600, John Testa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Okay, two can play this game.  I'm only playing it once though.

 - Good!

>" - Cigarettes are taxed appropriately here, it's fairly easy to stop
>paying
>that tax if you're unhappy with it.  Just pound your head against a wall
>for a while to get over the nic-fit."

Did you actually read what what I write or just use it as an excuse to jump
back on your one person bandwagon?  I wasn't complaining about the act of
smoking at all, just commenting on your whining about the tax.  Smoke all
you want, wherever you want.  I really don't care.

>Can we institute a fat-assed tax then?  Because I'm sick of paying for all
>you McDonald's lovers' health problems.  Try going to a gym and eating some
>greens and protein.  Reduce my insurance costs.  And by the way, as long as
>we're taxing that, we might as well tax your big-assed SUV because you're
>polluting the air at incredible rates.  I'd venture a guess that breathing
>exhaust from the proliferation of SUVs and what amounts to double-decker
>busses is a fair health risk as opposed to a whiff of tobacco smoke from
>some smoker.

If you think about it....It would be much easier if you would just go away
instead of the SUV. Had to say that.  I once (key word, once) read in a
automotive magazine that the fumes pumped out of your gas saving little car
were not that much better then an SUV.  Especially as you rev it out to
4000 rpm try to get it up to 50 mph merging onto the highway while the SUV
just hums right along hardly cresting 2500.  As for the gas mileage, well
let the SUV owner pay 60 bucks to fill up, at about .40 cents tax, or more,
on each gallon. Pays to keep my road smooth.

  Oh, by the way, if you don't like second-hand smoke, don't
>hang around smokers.

Where did I say anything about 2nd hand smoke?  Watcha smokin' dude?

  Don't go out to bars.  (As long as we're at it, I
>thought I'd throw that in -- don't like porn?  Don't watch it.  Just don't
>tell me I can't.)

Porn?  Fine, just keep your shades pulled.  PLEASE!

>" - Maybe someday while riding public transportation, look left or right
>out
>the window.  You'll be pleasantly surprised to see us Americans also
>walking.  You really need to get out more Testa."
>
>In Chicago, this is true.  In most places in the rest of the nation it's
>blatantly false.  Where do you live.  If it's a large city, I'd understand,
>but if you live in any other part of the country, I'd honestly like to know
>what color the sky is in your world.

I live about 30 miles away from 2 large cities.  See people walking all the
time, or running if I don't call my dog back.  Sky is blue here, maybe a
little cloudy in your parts?  Like I said before, "Get out more".

>The United States is the fattest most overfed country on the planet.  You
>will NOT find people walking in almost any suburban area in the United
>States.  The majority of the country does not live in Chicago or New York.
>People here, as a generalization, are indeed lazy as hell.  You ought to
>read more.  It's documented.  It's a well-known fact that children here are
>fatter than any other country on the planet, and it's because they (a)
>don't excercise regularly and (b) have a very, very poor diets.  This, of
>course, stems from the fact that most of their parents live this way.  How
>many adults do you know actually lift weights, do any aerobic exercise at
>all, or even bother climbing stairs?  If you know a lot of people who
>engage in such activities regularly, you're in the minority.

Actually, I agree with your rant above about the fat and diets.  Its true,
but I still don't know why you went off about it.?.  Did you have a point?
Or just ranting.

>Most
>Americans would never go for a walk, just to go for a walk.
>
>Sadly, the USA seems to be exporting its poor nutrition to countries like
>Germany and France.  Of course, it's those societies' problems to do
>something about rejecting the culture of McDonald's, but I don't think
>people really know how absolutely bad such food is.  Go see "Supersize Me."
>That defines the gross population of the US -- not to mention it'll teach
>you a thing or two about the horrors of what that type of "food" (if you
>can call it that) can do to you.

I haven't been to McD's in probably 10 years.  Not a big fan. You're just
going to have to live with the fact that these places exist and the fat
people do to.  Try picketing, I guess....

>" - Offended?  No. I find it very humorous actually.  It would be easy to
>tell you to just leave, you won't, you have to easy here with all these
>annoying freedoms and such.  Reminds me of a high school dropout
>complaining about low pay at Burger King.....please pull up to the next
>window, sir."
>
>Whatever.

Expected response. Again, "please pull up to the next window."  I apologize
if I offend you with that line.

>"Thanks for the laugh,
>Scott"
>
>Whatever.