UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Stuart Benkert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stuart Benkert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:27:26 -0500
Just to clarify folks,  I value liberal arts education more than almost anything else... So just because I rant about the pragmatics of an intellectual market place does not mean that I do not wish things were different. I believe education is the way to a better person and thus a better life. I taught adult Education GED programs for free for three years in Bassett Furniture Industries for this same reason. What have some of you raven ranters done other than be vocal on campus? I raise money for charities and work to instill these values in my students. Right now only three of you have decided to join us in our walk for the homeless coalition (Grateful Gobbler). What have you done to make society better? Stay in your tower and glower at the masses? Tell them they should respect you because you are educated? You can't lead from the towers folks. What have you done? I wish people did value scientists over athletes, I wish people did value Edgar Winters over Britney Spears and I wish I did not have to play rap in the stands to get people moving and cheering. But... that is not the case and as I told another professor a moment ago... as long as most of you continue to confuse activity with achievement and beleieve you are doing any good by attacking others on this campus instead of getting of your butts and taking the fight to the people I will work to squelch any comments I find to be offensive and disrespectful to our colleagues. If you do not want someone here then take it to the streets. If the masses don't buy what you are selling then work to educate them. I don't try to achieve my ends by alienating coleagues... unless of course, they start it.

By the way... my dream job would be at a small liberal arts university in the upper midwest where the mission is pure and people come to my concerts... you know... we do have concerts here... I don't see a lot of you ranters about societies misplaced values at our concerts. Perhaps it is just easier to talk about it... from the tower of course.

stuart