HP3000-L Archives

October 2004, Week 4

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:49:26 -0400
Art,

this news just popped up.

Ford Focus, Ranger Have Rollover Risk

By DEE-ANN DURBIN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Two 2005 Ford vehicles, the two-door Focus and the Ranger 4x4
pickup, were the worst performers in new government crash and rollover
tests, according to results released Tuesday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) said
the rear passenger was at risk of serious head injury when the Focus was
hit in the side in a 38.5 mph test. The Focus was tested without side air
bags, which a Ford Motor Co. Web site lists as a $350 option on the
vehicle.

NHTSA gave the Focus three out of five stars for driver's side protection
and four out of five stars for rear passenger protection, the lowest
ratings among cars tested. Those ratings didn't reflect the potential for
head injury because NHTSA's side-impact ratings consider only chest
injuries. A five-star rating means the likelihood of serious injury in a
similar crash is 5 percent or less; three stars means the likelihood is 11
to 20 percent.

The Ranger 4x4 and its corporate twin, the Mazda B-Series 4x4, earned two
stars in NHTSA's rollover ratings, the lowest of the 10 2005 pickups
tested. NHTSA said the Ranger and the B-Series have a 30.6 percent chance
of rolling over in a crash. The ratings consider the vehicle's height and
weight and its performance in a 35 to 50 mph test with a sharp turn.

Ford spokeswoman Carolyn Brown said Ford plans to study the new data but
believes the Focus and the Ranger are safe and perform similarly to
comparable vehicles. Brown added that Ford thinks NHTSA is using faulty
methods to predict chance of rollover.

"The calculation that NHTSA is using is based on a model that includes
outdated information and is not capable of producing real-world results,"
she said.

NHTSA released crash test results for seven passenger cars, one pickup and
one sport utility vehicle and rollover ratings for one crossover vehicle
and 10 pickups. The agency chooses vehicles to test based on popularity and
other factors.

The 2005 Subaru Outback, which NHTSA classifies as an SUV, was the only
vehicle that earned five stars on all front and side-impact tests. The
Outback was tested with its side air bags since they are standard.

The 2005 Chrysler 300 and its corporate twin, the Dodge Magnum, also were
high performers, earning five stars on the 35 mph frontal crash test and
the rear passenger side-impact test. Neither vehicle was tested with side
air bags, which are a $590 option on the Chrysler 300 and a $390 option on
the Dodge Magnum.

Two-wheel and four-wheel-drive versions of the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC
Canyon and Dodge Ram pickups each earned four stars in the rollover tests.
NHTSA said their percent chance of rollover was between 17.9 and 19.8
percent. The Ford Ranger 4x2 and Mazda B-Series 4x2 fared better than the
four-wheel-drive version, earning three stars and a 21.9 percent chance of
rolling over.

The Ford Freestar crossover earned four stars and has a 14.7 percent chance
of rolling over.

NHTSA ratings site: http://www.safercar.gov

=
>IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely
for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly
prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended
to be a legally binding signature.

=