HP3000-L Archives

October 2004, Week 3

From:
Larry Simonsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Simonsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:16:34 -0600
we have about 30 different queues.  one for each set of databases.  each
queue has their limit set to 1 but the total limit is set to 9 most of the
time.  the sum of the queue limits does not need to equal the system
limit.

Larry Simonsen                        Phone: 801-437-3737
Flowserve Corporation            Fax: 801-491-1750
505 E. Technology Ave http://www.Flowserve.com
Bldg. C, Suite 3100      e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Orem, UT 84097
All opinions expressed herein are my own and reflect, in no way, those of
my employer.

Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: HP-3000 Systems Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
10/15/2004 01:40 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
User-defined queues

Jeff Vance gave me permission to repost; he encouraged me to look at
user-defined job queues so as not to have to worry about keeping two jobs
from running at the same time, with the reminder that job queues do not
survive a reboot, so have to be recreated after a reboot. I'm about to
really push the case for user-defined job queues, or at least one.

For instance, the particular job stream that bit me has a set of database
reindexing jobs, which, I'm told, must run one at a time, and exclusive of
anything else. Now, the "exclusive of anything else" part seems a matter
of
scheduling, which is another subject. So, I've added PAUSE JOB=!HPLASTJOB
the calling job stream after each reindexing job is streamed, which is a
departure from the current design. But for sequencing of jobs that must
run
exclusively and in order, I really want to create SINGLEQ, and change
those
jobs to run in it.

So, here are my questions and concerns. There are two challenges. First,
the
shop is quite conservative about these things, and fourth quarter is our
lucrative season. I would need to demonstrate that creating and using
queues
presents no risk to the system. Is this in fact the case? And I would have
to develop my plan to implement them. Are there advantages I am missing,
or
issues I should address to make my case?

The second challenge is that our job maxlimit is set to 10. I've set it to
99 in SYSGEN (thus my other post on job maxlimits), but we have no plan to
reboot before January. I believe that were I to have a SINGLEQ, that would
leave me with only nine available to the default queue, unless I want to
reset the limit in SINGLEQ to zero, which seems a bit of a nuisance, and
only somewhat better than what we have now. Does anyone else contend with
similar situation, either deliberately or as an accepted status quo?

I would appreciate input from user-defined queue users.

Greg Stigers
Maybe I should call the job queues RIGHTQ and LEFTQ...