HP3000-L Archives

October 2004, Week 3

From:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:22:42 -0700
--- John Lee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Where is it written that it's the President's job to employ everyone?  Some
> of you need to go and study the American constitution.  Or maybe think
> before you speak.  It is NOT part of his or her duties.  Nor is providing
> flu vaccine.  In the good old USA, we rely on ourselves to provide for
> ourselves, or at least that's the way it used to be.  Do you really want to
> grant to one person the power to dictate whether or not you can manufacture
> overseas?  Or hire programmers from another country?  Why would you want to
> give one person that power?

Hat tip to Jeff Jacoby...

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/10/14/one_answer_not_given/

“Call me a cranky libertarian conservative, but just once I would like to hear
a candidate for president answer a question by saying, ‘Sorry, the Constitution

limits the role of the federal government -- the issue you're asking about is
one for the states or the private sector, not Washington.’

“But there was no talk of limited government last night. Instead there was talk

of: firehouses not having enough firefighters, a shortage of flu vaccine, the
rise in health insurance premiums, how laid-off workers should attend community

college, the need for more grade-school math and science, the high price of
gasoline and medicine, a minimum wage for unskilled workers, education for
parents
who don't speak English -- and those are just the ones I managed to scribble
down. There was even a mention of ceiling fans from China.

"Where does the Constitution that whoever wins this election will take an oath
to preserve, protect, and defend say that *any* of these are properly the
concern of the federal government?”

- Boston Globe columnist Jeff Jacoby