HP3000-L Archives

October 2004, Week 2

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:22:48 -0400
F. Alfredo Rego wrote:
> Savon Vegetal -- Pure Vegetable Soap.
>   Why did the English translators feel they had to add
>   the qualifier "pure"?

I'm pretty sure I'm veering off-topic here.

As best as I can tell, it is because in the U.S., one could sell a soap as a
vegetable soap that contained vegetable soap and other soaps as well, even
though that is likely not what someone buying a vegetable soap would want.
For instance, I'm trying to eat more whole grain products (and it seems to
be helping). And I've learned that "whole wheat bread" can be bread that
contains any amount of whole wheat, but so little that artificial color is
added to make the bread brown. After all, raisen bread contains other
ingredients besides raisens, right? So, the breads I buy almost without
exception say "100% whole wheat bread". Of course, I hold in contempt those
who make or sell "whole wheat bread" that is somewhat less than what I want.
It's not as if they are doing themselves any favors by engaging in such
deception, at least not with me. But those who engage in such dishonorable
deception make it harder for those who are attempting to be honest. Thus the
extra wording to state what should be obvious.

We just wash our vegetables with water. ;-)

Greg Stigers