HP3000-L Archives

October 2004, Week 2

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:21:14 -0700
Wirt,
While I agree with most of your post, I think your timeline is a bit
off.  You stated that the physicists who had worked on the German atomic
bomb program convinced Einstein to write the letter to FDR, then you
provided a link that refutes it.  The narrative at that web site begins
"Six months after fission was discovered..."  At the time Dr. Einstein
wrote the letter, the physics community was becoming aware that a bomb
was theoretically possible, but Szillard, Fermi, et al had come to the
USA well before any kind of atomic weapons program was under way in
Germany.  There was certainly atomic research going on in Germany at
that time, but it wasn't aimed at weaponry.  Einstein's letter was based
on the fear that the Germans *might* try to develop a bomb.

Yes, the Germans had a program to develop a bomb, but it was never very
successful.  For one thing, they were convinced that graphite would not
work in a reactor, and they pursued heavy water as a moderator instead.
Allied attacks on the Nazi heavy water plant in Denmark repeatedly
delayed their program.  This effort was dramatized in a movie named "The
Heroes of Telemark."  For an excellent and entertaining history of the
Manhattan Project, I recommend "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by
Richard Rhodes.

John Clogg