HP3000-L Archives

October 2004, Week 1

From:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:04:21 -0700
Brice,

Once again, I must ask, did you actually read the article?  Please
allow me to post this simple quote once again:

"EPA data analyzed by The Post identified 274 utilities, which
together
serve 11.5 million people, that have reported unsafe lead levels since
2000. Those numbers do not include cities where testing methods
concealed
true lead levels."

Now, I suppose that the EPA is not qualified to test water supplies
either, are they?  This is EPA data, not the Washington Post's data.  I
think the Post's "analysis" consisted of comparing the lead levels in
the EPA data with "safe" lead levels and observing that they're higher.
You want to debate about "safe" lead levels?  You think the EPA's
assessment of a "safe" lead level is junk science?  Prove it.  Don't
toss around the claim of "junk science" without any evidence.  And I'm
skeptical that the EPA is in bed with the Post.  If you think so, cite
your evidence.

"Unconfirmed charges"?  Maybe.  I'm sure you will claim that the
"records" that the writer refers to (repeatedly) are possibly forgeries
or other "liberal" nonsense.  I trust that, once again, you have some
sort of evidence to support (or even suggest) this claim.  Otherwise, I
can only call your reactions "knee-jerk", since they are not based on
any facts but rather preconceived notions about the Washington Post and
the national media.

Oh, and your comments belittling the risk of mercury poisoning?  Once
again, cite your evidence.  There's plenty to be found concerning the
toxicity of mercury and mercury compounds.  One source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_%28element%29

"Elemental, liquid mercury is slightly toxic, while its vapor,
compounds and salts are highly toxic and have been implicated as causing
brain and liver damage when ingested, inhaled or contacted. For this
reason (along with exaggeration of the actual risk in the media), most
thermometers now use pigmented alcohol instead of mercury, though some
medical thermometers still use mercury for reasons of accuracy.

"Even though it is far less toxic than its compounds, elemental mercury
still poses significant environmental pollution and remediation problems
due to the fact that mercury forms organic compounds inside of living
organisms. Methyl mercury works its way up the food chain, reaching high
concentrations among populations of some species such as tuna. Mercury
poisoning in humans will result from persistent consumption of tainted
foodstuffs."

Art Frank
Manager of Information Systems
OHSU Foundation
(503) 220-8320

>>> Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]> 10/5/2004 3:20:19 PM >>>
Mr Frank -

The Washington Post is not qualified to test water supplies, unless
they
have some sort of chemistry division which I am not aware of.  Odd for
a newspaper, but not impossible.  I don't see where it says the Post
has
taken a sample themselves, and I do not see where any testing company
was used to confirm these results.  In fact, I see nothing in the
article
except unconfirmed charges.  I want to know who did the testing and
what
the results were, if it is a company where the brother-in-law of the
editor of the Washington Post works, then I am eager to cry 'junk
science'.  In fact, I am sick of what get's reported in the press
as 'news' especially the national press.

When I said 'go to the press' I meant 'local' press, if an appearance
at the city council gets no results.

With regard to Michael being my political nemesis...  it is typical of
him to post lengthy articles which really say nothing.