HP3000-L Archives

October 2004, Week 1

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:06:37 -0400
See, its not that hard.       Being stubborn isn't a sign of strength.

Powell Regrets Iraq Weapons Claim for War
By HARRY R. WEBER, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA - Secretary of State Colin Powell said Friday he regrets the Bush
administration claimed that Iraq had stockpiles of weapons of mass
destruction in its argument for war, but he believes the world is better
off without Saddam Hussein.

Following a speech to the Atlanta Press Club, Powell defended the bulk of
his presentation to the United Nations in February 2003 in which he made
the case for war in Iraq.

"The only thing where we got it wrong and where our presentation did not
hold up was the actual stockpiles," Powell said. "We've seen nothing to
suggest that he had actual stockpiles. That was not right."

He added, "As we've gone back and looked through the intelligence, there
are indications that we had bad sourcing that we should have caught. For
that I am disappointed and regret that that information was not correct."

A Senate Intelligence Committee's report on prewar intelligence about Iraq
found that much of the information provided or cleared by the CIA for
inclusion in Powell's speech to the United Nations "was overstated,
misleading or incorrect."

Nevertheless, Powell noted that the war has led to the ouster of Saddam,
and for that,he said, the world will be safer. He noted that Saddam had
used weapons of mass destruction against his own people and Iraq's
neighbors.

"So, he had a history, the intention of doing it, he was hiding things, he
was not responding to the demands of the international community," Powell
said.