UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Glenn Brook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Brook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 18:09:18 -0400
I do not in any way condone the manufacture or use of homemade
explosives in a populated area.   I do think that the situation calls
for serious consideration, certainly requiring more than 30 seconds.

I myself lack sufficient information to make any reasonable judgement as
to the true seriousness of their offense.  Based on the vague statements
made in the public forum of which I am aware, I know that these two
students manufactured some sort of explosive which was tossed outside to
explode.  I do not know if the explosion was in fact due to chemical
combustion or simple pressure-induced expansion.  I do not know the
magnitude of the explosion, nor any other conditions surrounding the
incident.  Suppose for a moment that these kids made a simple CO2 bomb
using a plastic bottle, vinegar, and baking soda.  Such a contraption is
in most reasonable cases less dangerous than easily purchased
fireworks.  I suspect, based on their arrest, that the boys used
chemicals other than baking soda and vinegar, but that does not
necessarily mean that the device was significantly more dangerous.

The criminal justice system will deal with the boys for breaking the
law.  UTC should discipline the boys appropriately for inappropriate
behavior as students, but expulsion might be excessive.  If the "bombs"
were designed and built to be little more than noise-makers, the risk
might easily have been less than that associated with driving while
intoxicated.  I doubt that UTC would expel someone for driving under the
influence.
Hopefully, the boys will get a fair hearing rather than a lynching.

On another note, it is amazing to me how quickly issues get blown into a
brouhaha around here.  In many cases, it appears as if little or no
attempt is made to research the issue at hand before spewing forth
inflamatory opinion.  I find this disturbing since the livelihood of
everyone on this mailing list is tied to higher education in some way.
I urge everyone to carefully consider their opinions, conduct
appropriate research, and present clearly documented arguments.  In this
way, everyone in our community will benefit from the exchange, and the
general level of knowledge in our environment will grow.

=
Glenn Brook