UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Daniel G. Hyams" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel G. Hyams
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:05:45 -0400
Good grief folks, let's use our common sense and not screw on the
tinfoil hats quite as tightly.  First of all, the original poster (Dr. Boer)
says that he was mailed a "form for an absentee ballot", not the ballot
itself.  I am guessing what he received looked a lot like this (two seconds
of Google searching required):

http://www.dos.state.pa.us/voting/lib/voting/02_voter_registration_applications/absenteeballot/absentee_ballot_application_(08-13-04).pdf

So, no "skullduggery" here.  Given easy access to USPS mailing databases
which incorporate change of address forms, it takes a computer a couple of
microseconds to return the complete address history of someone, given their
name and an original address.  As an example (again with about two seconds of
Google searching):

http://www.melissadata.com/Ncoa/NCOA.htm

So, no effort required to "track someone down".  Basically, I look at this as the
Republicans in PA saying "hey, in case you need an absentee ballot, here is an
application for one".  I have no problem with either party doing this type of thing.
It is exactly the same as a political party posting a link for voter registration
information on their website, or providing votor registration materials at a rally
or similar.

If there are actual voting irregularities, by anyone, I will be the first to yell from the rooftops.
However, let's not take every single occurrance and see a grand consipiracy to steal votes
and by extension, the election.  Given that faith in the election process is extremely
important to Americans, we should take care not to spread unfounded rumors of illegitimacy.

Use common sense and reason; it took about 30 times longer for me to write this
post as it did to research the facts for my own.  And now, before anyone accuses me
of being naive, I am sure that there will be some voter fraud that goes on somewhere in
the US;  I have already seen dozens of articles pointing out allegations of impropriety,
from both of the major parties.  This happens, unfortunately, every election, and is nothing
new.  Let's focus on actual problems, and not try to make any more up on our own.

 Daniel G. Hyams