UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Nancy Badger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Badger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:30:59 -0400
Thanks for the latest safety gram regarding cross walks.  As the Director of the Office for Students with Disabilities, I would like to let the campus know that we have at least four new students on campus who use white canes due to a visual impairment.  Please be aware, as you are driving, that these pedestrians may need to cross, and do not have the benefit of being able to see you coming.  One intersection that particularly concerns me is at Douglas and Oak.  These students need to use this intersection any time they wish to visit the OSD office.  There is one staff member (which happens to be me) and one community resident who lives close to campus who use guide dogs.  Please use extra caution whenever you see a white cane or a guide dog anywhere in the community or campus environment.
Thank you!
Nancy L. Badger, Ph.D.
Director, Counseling and Student Services