UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Henry Spratt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry Spratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:45:17 -0400
It's interesting to think about "abiotic oil" formation, or the
polymerization of methane at the mantle/crust interface.  This
hypothesis runs counter to the long-standing hypothesis (probably a
theory by now) that oil is formed through the gradual polymerization
of pre-formed organic matter (from dead plants, algae, or even
animals) under great pressure, over millions of years of time.  The
idea that "new" oil exists has been discussed for a while. However,
if there's so much "new" oil forming down there, as one of the
articles below suggest, why haven't we detected it throughout the oil
fields of the world?  It's not like we don't drill wells all over the
place.  We even drill deep injection wells to pump hazardous wastes
in places that would likely have this "abiotic oil". We're not
finding much "new" or "old" oil. In fact globally, the peak of new
oil discoveries occurred in 1962 at over 40 billion barrels
discovered per year.  In 2002 new oil discoveries did not climb above
10 billion barrels globally.  According to the London-based Energy
Institute, oil production is in decline in 18 major producing
countries.  The drop off in oil production within these oil producers
amounts to close to 1 million barrels per day. It's also frightening
to think that the Saudis, who have the largest proven reserves, are
now resorting to "tricks" (e.g., pumping hot water into oil fields)
to increase their production.  These "tricks" often abruptly stop
working.  The Saudis may not actually know how great their reserves
are after all.  So, where is this "new" oil?  If we don't begin to
find it soon, it may be too late to resurrect an oil-based economy
that crashes for lack of cheap oil.

The idea of converting waste material into a "synthetic" oil is
interesting. As the article below suggests, there is a demonstration
plant working in Missouri.  However, this could only be taken as a
stop gap measure.  Where would the new oil come from to keep growing
all of those plants to feed an 80% efficient conversion process.  At
each cycle you lose 20% of your energy content.  It's not a perpetual
motion machine.

Without concerted efforts now to significantly reduce global oil
consumption we're in for some rough waters sooner than some might
think.

Take care,

Henry