UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Boris Belinskiy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Boris Belinskiy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:34:09 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

We continue our Colloquium in the Math Department.

*************************

Thursday, October 28, EMCS 422, 3:00 pm.

Sharon Brueggeman,

Department of Mathematics,

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

The nonexistence of certain Galois extensions with small ramification

Abstract
In the integers, we define a prime number as a number that factors only
in trivial ways. We can also define prime ideals as ideals that do not
factor. When we view these numbers and ideals in finite extensions of
the rationals, they often will factor. Ramification is the term for
describing "bad" factorizations. In this talk, we will discuss methods
of trying to find a finite Galois extension which has only one ramified
prime.

Students who have taken Math 321 are encouraged to attend.

Boris P Belinskiy

Department of Mathematics, Dept. 6956

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Ph. (423) 425-4748