UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Marge Fergason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marge Fergason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:56:55 -0400
As a Co-Chair of the United Way campaign on campus, I want to encourage you
to contribute to this year's campaign.

You have heard all the usual reasons to give so I will only tell you why I
give.

Many years ago, when I first came to work at UTC as a single mother of
three children -- receiving no child support -- I enrolled my son at Little
Miss Mag Day Care.  Little Miss Mag was on the way to work, open during the
hours I needed, has a very positive reputation for quality care, and, with
the assistance Little Miss Mag received from United Way, provided day care
I could afford.

Later I enrolled my daughters and son in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters
program.  Only having one parent can be trying -- for the child and the
parent!  Big Brothers/Big Sisters was wonderful!  My girls had excellent
young women who were real role models as well as good friends.  My son
really benefited from this experience -- living with three women, and
having no male role model, he really enjoyed "guy" time with his big
brother.  In fact, my son, now 29, and his big brother are still friends
and still keep in touch.

I personally designate my United Way contribution to Big Brothers/Big
Sisters because of the positive affect it had on my family.  Choose your
own organization, there are over 40, or just make a donation to the general
fund.

Please help UTC and the United Way.

Marge Fergason, CPS
UTC College of Arts & Sciences