SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2004

From:
Viv Matson-Larkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 09:31:54 +0800
>>On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 CrustyRuss <[log in to unmask]> originally wrote:
>>This trip report is from a friend who just returned from
>>LaPaz, diving with the same operation we will be with for
>>the LaPaz2004NEDfest in September.

>Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]> then queried:
>Did the whale sharks, hammerheads, and hurricanes devour
>everyone in the NEDfest that was over 2 days ago?

`ello everyone,
La Paz sector is now over .. got in to Mexico City just after lunch and did a
tour of the museum before hitting a bar for drinkies & a meal.

We had one whaleshark .. vis was absolutely shocking for the dip with it due
to it being really close to shore .. nearly everyone got stung one way or
another by the jellyfish that were a bit of a problem for those without skins
as a minimum.

Did not see one hammerhead at all .. but I am pretty sure that will be amended
during the Aggressor liveaboard trip off Costa Rica from Oct 12 - 22.

Had a brilliant time out at the sea lion colony.  That spot plus the wreck
were my favourite dive sites.  Last dive Don & I blew off an hour enticing the
sea lions for a play and some piccies.  One of the big bulls was certainly
letting us know who was the boss in his domain .. every time he barked,
grunted, growled (or whatever you call the noise they make) you could feel it
vibrate through you when he was really close.   Some times I could have put my
hand out and touched him .. while the temptation was there he was not as cute,
in both looks and nature, as the lil ones.

Ive seen quite a few fish Ive never encountered before.  The most common
things here are the morays and pufferfish.  Certainly missed not have Crusty &
family not around .. though his mates Charlie & Stephen did hold the fort
nicely.

Well, time for me to get off to bed .. rose at 5:15am for the supposed 5:30
pickup that dragged on till 6am.  Fortunately we made our flight connection.
Tomorrow is another early rise to get on the road and out of Mexico City
before the traffic goes nuts.
Viv