SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2004

Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:24:55 -0500
Day 1 - Adventures in Baja
Got to the airport. Everyone was getting a red light.  Must have been 20
people lined up to be inspected.  Clerk finally just waved everyone through.
Got the car and went in search of the Hilton.  Got lost.  It was  a lot
farther than it was said to be but I found it and Al and Don eventually.
Next we drove south on 11 and missed the turn to 19 and ended up in a
residential part of Cabo. Found our way back to the highway and we were off.
About halfway to Todos Santos there is a 'tope' out in the middle of nowhere
with no signs or anything.  I was alerted to its presence by a cry of terror
from Al 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh'
followed by my own and a stomping on the brakes. Hit it at about 40KPH or
so.  Think Don's head left an impression on the roof. Finally reach La Paz
and (oops) wrong turn again into the residential areas.  Got turned around
and finally reached Cantamar about 6.  Just in time for beer and dinner.

Day 2 - Adventures on a slow boat
Got to the dock at 8:15 supposed to leave at 8:30.  9 we finally pull out on
a slow boat made even slower by a dead engine.

Dive 1 - after a loooonng slow ride finally get to the dive site.  Fang
Ming.  A boat consicated by the Mexican gummint running Chinese into SoCal.
The owner never came forward to claim it so they cut holes in it and turned
it into an artifical reef. Upright in the sand at 80FSW with the top between
30 and 50. Lots of small fish but nothing very big.  First view of Cortez
Angels - they are very striking.

Dive 2 - Another longish run to Los Islotes (seal colony.) I hung around
30FSW watching seals and prowling thru the rocks but you can get as deep as
about 60 where there are (they say) lots of jaw fish.  Lunch on the boat was
plentiful but pedestrian.

Dive 3 - Los Coralitas after another long run.  Supposed to be lots of coral
formations. Saw some cup coral and a lot of anemones but the stinging
schmutz in the water was very distracting.  I cut the dive short as it was
getting uncomfortable (wore only t-shirt and trunks - learned my lesson and
stayed in a wetsuit with gloves on the rest of the trip.)

Got back to the dock about 7:30PM - a long day - had dinner and crashed.

More to come later