HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 5

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:21:23 -0700
Sorry I don't have a lot of hard data to back up my claim, but anecdotally,
a company I once worked for had a big customer file, and used KSAM for the
obvious partial-key lookups.  That involved having Name, Address,
CityStateZip or somthing? for the 3rd key; the objective was a customer
number.  Laying out the file with 3 keys,
Name    primary
Addr    secondary
CSZ     tertiary
Cust#
KSAM obviously has to maintain 3 separate indices, with ugly insertion times
for most.

We enjoyed vastly improved performance by rebuilding the file with one key
and 3 times as many records, with the key being one of Name Addr CSZ.  IIRC
we tacked a key-type field on the front, but I'm not convinced it was really
necessary.  Faster build, faster execution.

Again, pretty sketchy details here, but it seems valid.

You'll also discover that pre-sorting the records before loading them to
KSAM will vastly improve both load and execute time too.

btw I did actually read that quote in your orig post, but as it wasn't
credited to the TIMER intrinsic docs, I didn't give it much credence.  So
you get to laugh at me - I didn't bother to rtfm, I just guessed.

Tracy