HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 5

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:38:27 -0700
The simplest way to do CGI is to use the httpd.conf ScriptAlias directive to
map a URL (i.e. "/cgi-bin/") to the directory where your CGI scripts are stored.

Make sure the directory object allows POSIX read and execute access to the user
that HTTPD is running as.

Make sure that your CGI script in that directory allows at least POSIX execute
access to the user that HTTPD is running as.  Note that for security reasons
the sample CGI scripts distributed with the HP Apache/WebWise product DO NOT
have execute access set.  You will have to use the POSIX chmod command to add
execute access.

If you have HP software support, the HP Response Center should be able to help
you with your Apache configuration questions.

- Mark B.

Gerken, Tom wrote:
> Dear list participants,
>
> I have been tasked with finding out if we can run Apache web server on our
> HPe3000 system.  Knowing that Apache comes with MPE, I began teaching myself
> how to configure and run it.  I now have an operational home page and
> hyperlinks to two additional HTML pages.  However, the reason for this
> exploration was to find out if we could extract some data from a database
> and send it to the requester.  So far I have been unsuccessful in even
> executing the test cgi script that came with the software.
>
> I have tried reading the online manuals at apache.org and I have also
> purchased a rather thick book on Apache.  Both of these resources seem to
> assume I already have a basic knowledge of Apache, which is a bit of a
> stretch.  I feel like a third grader trying to understand a junior high
> textbook.
>
> So, my question has two parts:
> 1) Does anyone know of a good primer for understanding the basic concepts of
> Apache (e.g.  Apache for Dummies!)?
> 2) Is there anyone out there who has run Apache on the HP3000 and would be
> willing to answer questions regarding configuration and programming?
>
> BTW, I am on MPE 7.0.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thomas L. Gerken
> Systems Administrator
> Paramount Health Care
> 419-887-2112

Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...