HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 4

From:
Adam Dorritie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Dorritie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:45:37 -0500
While Bill of Rights may not mention race or sex, the U.S. Constitution,
of course, does in Amendments subsequent to and with no less weight than
the first 10 Amendments:

Amendment XV

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not
be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of
race, color, or previous condition of servitude

Amendment XIX

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied
or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

Folks also seemed to think that this was important enough to throw in at
some point:

Amendment XIV

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and
subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States
and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any
law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty,
or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within
its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Matthew Perdue writes:

> A quick check of my "pocket Constitution" provided by the Cato
> Institute and a check of
> http://www.archives.gov/national_archives_experience/charters/bill_of_r
> ights_transcript.html reveals no mention of sex, age, race or handicap.
<chort history "lesson" snipped>