HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 4

From:
Peter Smithson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Smithson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:02:46 -0500
 Hi,

I don't think there are many duplicate keys involved.  I had trouble
defining a primary key with duplicates using ACU's vutil application and
loaded the data anyway.  Not many records were rejected.  I've since
found that I can create a primary key with duplicates using COBOL.

I'm not sure what "NM KSAM" is (except that NM stands for Native mode
and I think KSAM XL uses it - I think).  I know theres KSAM 3000 and
KSAM XL.  I used KSAM XL.

The test can either use CK intrinsics or COBOL verbs or a mixture.  I
couldn't get the program to open the KSAM file I'd created on MPE using
the COBOL verbs (some error to do with the program not matching the file
or something).  This is a bit worrying as they provided the test program
and the JCL to create the files.  I had the same problem on HP-UX but
got round it by adding the alternate key in the COBOL SELECT statement.
I got a compilation error using the same syntax on MPE (I'm no COBOL
expert).

So I used CK intrinsics on MPE.  I'm hoping that it doesn't make much
difference as it'll all come down to FREAD, FWRITE etc in the end on
MPE.  Would that be right?

I used COBOL verbs on HP-UX.

I am worried that the customer got the test to run in 1.5 hours.  They
used COBOL verbs - could that account for such a huge difference?

I've been involved in migrations before and you get two things happening
-

1) Data access is quicker because the hardware is so much newer and
faster.

2) Data access is slower as they move to RDBMS in the process.

Factor 1 has won out over all in the system as a whole so it's never
been a concern.  This is the first time I've tried to compare like with
like.  The customer isn't interested in this as they're going to Oracle
but I was curious.

Cheers

Peter

In article <[log in to unmask]>,