HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 4

From:
Peter Smithson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Smithson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 05:31:59 -0500
 In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
says...
> Recently published:
>
> http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/index.htm
>
> "The true purpose of schooling, according to Gatto, is to produce an easily manageable workforce to serve employers in a mass-production economy.  Actual education is a secondary and even counterproductive result since educated people tend to be more difficult to control."

This was no big secret at the school my wife went to.  In the UK they
used to have an exam when the child was 11.  If you passed you went to
one school if you failed you went to another (with a bais against
females).  One school would be academic and the other would produce
"factory fodder".  Quite different in the county I was brought up in.

> (The only difference between the U.S. and European systems, is that the Europeans seem to be better and getting students to "believe" they've been educated.)

Well I'm from the UK and my belief is that there's nothing in it until
you are 18.  Then you go to university/polytechnic, as someone has
posted, less people to go Uni in the UK so I believe the standard of
education is higher at that point.  I'd be happy to hear other opinions
as I'm not saying my opinion is a particularly informed one.

--
http://www.beluga.freeserve.co.uk