HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 3

From:
Bruce Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:41:01 -0400
Bob Newhart also had a line about the poor scientists whose job it was to
read all the output. Imagine their excitement when they come across the line
"To be or not to be. That is the gesnorenplatz.".

Actually, the original monkey/typewriter quote was from Sir Arthur Edgington
(or Edgerton), and he was trying to get a point across about astronomical
odds, that a million monkeys pounding on a million typewriters would NOT
produce the complete works of Shakespeare.

Now of course, with word processors, proportional fonts, superscripts, and
spell checkers, twelve monkeys could do it in a matter of weeks :-)