HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 3

From:
Cathlene Mc Rae <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cathlene Mc Rae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:17:03 -0400
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:54:48 -0400, Simpkins, Terry
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As part of our Sarbanes-Oxley compliance effort, I will be turning on
>IMAGE logging for a number of databases (over 60 of them).
>As you might guess, this means I have to increase the parameters for
>logging in SYSGEN.
>
>My question is:
>Are there any things I should "worry about" when upping the number of
>logging processes and the number of users per logging process?
>My understanding is:
>-  I need to define one "user logging process" for each Image Database
>that is enabled for logging
>-  I need to set the "# of users per logging process" equal to (or
>grater than) the maximum number of concurrent DBOPENs for a database.
>
>For example, if I turn on logging for 65 Image databases, I need to set
>"# of user logging processes" greater than 65.
>If 64 of those databases have 5-10 concurrent DBOPENs, and one of them
>has 850 concurrent DBOPENs (a very busy DB indeed), then I
>must set the "# of users per logging process" equal to at least 850.
>
>Do I have this right?  Is there a significant resource penalty for
>setting these variables overly large?
>I will NOT be using the Image Logfiles for recovery, they are only going
>to be used to provide an audit trail for changes made to certain fields
>in
>the databases.  But I am aware that I must keep an eye of discspace,
>because it can be consumed very quickly.
>
>*****************************
>Terry W. Simpkins
>Director ISIT
>Measurement Specialties
>757-766-4278
>*****************************

User logging.  The following note is on the itrc.  Hopefully this will help
explain the user logging id and user logging counts:

IMAGE: LOGID and Users per Logging Process DocId: KBRC00010200   Updated:
8/26/04 7:46:00 AM

PROBLEM
What is the difference between Users per logging process and Logid?  Is
there a limit for each?

RESOLUTION

The LOGID:

The User Logging system process is identifiable to the system by a logid.
The logid is a name you give the log when you create the logfile, MYDBID.
The logid points to a disc or tape file. Using LISTLOG or SHOWLOGSTATUS
displays this information.  The max number of user logging processes is
128, this also is the max number of user logids allowed.

The max number of users per logging process can be determined by the
following:

1. A LISTF ,3 on the root file reflects FOPENS (HPFOPEN) of the root file.
2. Each DBOPEN in a write mode FOPENS the DB once for Read and once for
WRITE.
3. DBOPEN shares the same OPENLOG for multiple DBOPENs of a DB for that
   user. Hence extra DBOPENS do not increase the USER count in
SHOWLOGSTATUS.
4. SHOWLOGSTATUS USERS field reflects the count of the OPENLOGs.
5. The maximum users per logging process is 1140 on 6.5 and 2851 on 7.0.

The DBOPEN mode 5 does NOT count as a user in the logging process.

1024 is the 6.0 limit and 2851 is the 7.0 limit. If the message
"MAXIMUM USER COUNT PER LOGGING PROCESS REACHED", the currently
configured value must be increased.  To modify the current value
SYSGEN must be used.  A START NORECOVERY is then needed to update
the current value.

To see their configured value, run SYSGEN as follows:

:SYSGEN

sysgen>log

log>sh ulog

        configurable item              max      min    current
        -----------------            -------  -------  -------
        # of user logging processes     128       2      64
        # users per logging process     2851      1      512

Note: The list above gives values for max, min, and current.  The values
in these columns mean:

MAX:     The max value that can be configured.
MIN:     The current configured min value.
CURRENT: The current configured max value.

ALT KEYWORDS
user logging
image logging
showlogstatus