HP3000-L Archives

September 2004, Week 2

From:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:16:53 -0400
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:51:14 -0400, john williams <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>hi list members,
>
>Does anyone have a idea how much an HP3000 consultant (with over 15 years
of
>3000 experience) should be paid per hour in US dollars ?  $10, $20, $30,
>$40, $50, $60, $70, $80, $90, $100 or more.
>
>In other words, what is the going rate for a HP 3000 Analyst/Programmer ?
>
>It would be interesting to know what the rates are like in other countries
>too, not just in the US.
>
>JW.

>Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and
>more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx

As HP3000 consultants aka Analyst/Programmers are free agents you can
charge what you like. Of course, you can price yourself right out of the
market if you are not careful...

It also depends on the location you are in. Full time perm job with benefits
may give you $65K to $70K a year, maybe $50 an hour as a contractor. I know
from experience going that high is like pulling teeth without anaesthetic.

These days, companies just want you for a short while to go in, do some
project and then leave -- they don't want you hanging around until your
retirement age.

In the U.K., rates are even *worse* -- there are plenty consulting jobs
over there for HP3000 *Powerhouse* programmers but those jobs only pay
about the equivalent of $35K a year.

Brian Donaldson.